Mufti Ebrahim Desai completed his Qurān Memorization (Hifz) at Watervaal Islamic Institute (Miā’s Farm), South Africa. Thereafter he pursued his ῾Ālim Course in Jamia Islamia, Dhabel for 7 years, and passed with distinction in every year. Mufti Ebrahim Desai completed his Mufti Course (Iftā) at Jamia Islāmia, Dhabel, India under Hazrat Mufti Ahmad Khanpuri Saheb of Dabhel for two years. After completing of this course, he completed another year of studies in Iftaa under the late Mufti of India, Hazrat Mufti Mahmud al-Hasan Gangohi rahmatullah alayh, the author of the multivolume Fatawa Mahmudiyya.
Mufti Sahib taught Fiqh, Principles of Fiqh, Tafsīr, Hadīth at Madrasah Ta῾līmuddīn, Isipingo Beach, South Africa for 10 years. He also headed the Fatwa Department at Jamiatul Ulama, KZN. He was a senior Sheikhul Hadith at Madrasah In’aamiyyah, Camperdown for another 10 years. In 2011, Mufti Ebrahim Desai Saheb moved to Durban permanently and laid the foundation for Darul Iftaa Mahmudiyyah, Sherwood, Durban.
Currently, Mufti Sahib runs The Darul Iftaa Mahmudiyyah where he teaches students to become Muftis. The Darul Iftaa caters for many facilities under the supervision of Mufti Sahib. More can be found out on daruliftaa.net
- Senior Teacher at Madrasah Nu῾māniyyah, Chatsworth, Durban.
- Senior Teacher at Darul Uloom Hamidiyyah, Durban.
- Current Executive member of KZN Jamiatul Ulama (The Council Of Muslim Theologians).
- Current Head of the Fatwa Department of KZN Jamiatul Ulama (The Council Of Muslim Theologians).
- Current Head of the Judicial Committee of KZN Jamiatul Ulama (The Council Of Muslim Theologians).
- Official Arbitrator of commercial and marital mediations/arbitrations.
- Ameer of One Humanity Foundation
- Ameer and head of Darul Iftaa Mahmudiyyah, Durban
- Mufti of Cii International Radio
1) Al Mahmood volume 1
2) Al Mahmood volume 2
3) Introduction to Hadith
4) Madkhal al-Buyoo’ (Introduction to Islamic Commerce)
5) Contemporary Fatawa (legal verdicts)(latest publication) Volumes 1 – 3
6) Various articles
Mufti Ebrahim Desai has authored two books, “Introduction to Hadīth: A general introduction to Hadīth and its sciences” and “Introductions to Islamic Commerce”. His fatawa have been compiled in a book titled “Al-Mahmood”. Another compilation of his talks at the Shariah Compliant Business Campaign is also available titled “Shariah Compliant Business Campaign”. The latest compilation of contemporary verdicts is also available titled “Contemporary Fatawa”.
Mufti Sahib has been issuing Fatwās in various fields for more than 25 years. Sharī῾ah Compliant Business Campaign which also initiated by Mufti Sahib in 2002 providing a conference to tackle contemporary business matters in Islamic Commerce and Finance.
Mufti Sahib has his weekly Thursday Majlis at Masjid Saaliheen, Sherwood, he also conducts discourses on Islamic Finance and commerce from Bukhari Sharif every Mondays at Musjid Noor, Ashervillle – Mallinson Road, Durban.
Mufti Sahib has visited Unites States, Canada, UK, China, Zambia, Malawi and other countries for almost 15 Years and delivered talks and lectures on various topics in Masājids, Universities and various institutes.
Mufti Ebrahim Sahib runs the world renowned Askimam.org website which serves over 123 countries in the world. The Askimam.org site hosts approximately over 40,000 rulings.